Raj K Aggarwal
OBE DL MRPharmS BPharm
- Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE)
- Honorary Consul for India with jurisdiction for Wales
- Deputy Lieutenant for South Glamorgan (DL)
- Member of the Governing Body (The Council) of Cardiff University
- Member of the Board of the Wales Millennium Centre
- Member of the Board of the National Pharmaceutical Association
- Member of the Board of the Cardiff Business Club
- Member of the Board of the Welsh International Business Council
- Chairman of Kidney Wales Foundation and Donate Wales
- Chairman of Community Pharmacy Wales
- Member of The Cardiff and County Club, Radyr Golf Club, Vale of Glamorgan Golf Club.
- Health correspondent for western mail, and regular contributor to national and local media on health and pharmacy
- Welsh Assembly Government appointed advisor on various Health & Pharmaceutical Committees
- Member of Ministerial Pharmacy Strategic Deliver Group.
Director and Founder
Raj K Aggarwal left Nairobi after establishing the family business as the largest fruit and vegetable trading house in Kenya, he was instrumental in securing national supply contracts with Government bodies and large NGOs and import contracts with producers worldwide.
Arrived in the UK to study A-levels at the prestigious boarding school in Bath, after successful A-levels he secured a place at Cardiff University to study Pharmacy
His period at Cardiff University was the start of his work for the local community, establishing and leading community groups, developing professional and personal friendships with many eminent political and establishment figures such as His Majesty the Prince of Wales.
After a few years managing various stores for Boots PLC in South Wales, Mr Aggarwal was transferred to London and managed some very high profile stores including oxford street. At this point Mr Aggarwal was the youngest ever regional manager for Boots.
On a social visit back to Cardiff, he became aware of the sale of a small pharmacy on City Road, and could see the huge potential in this business. Taking a huge gamble resigned from a glittering and rising career with Boots and bought this first shop. Working 18/20 hours a day he developed and maximised the business, focusing on the three guiding principles taught to him by his father: Quality, Service and Satisfaction.
After this first pharmacy, he purchased and developed various other sites around cardiff, building up a chain of six highly successful pharmacies.
As well as managing his pharmacies and other business interests, Mr Aggarwal has continued to be highly involved in charitable, professional and community organisations.
RAJ K AGGARWAL CURRICULUM VITAE
I am a successful, self-motivated and enthusiastic individual with a practical understanding of a wide range of some of the most important of the UK's economic, community and public sectors. These include public health, business management, retail and marketing, charitable work and community affairs.
I have significant experience at Board and senior management level across the commercial, public and not for profit sectors. I relate well to people from all walks of life. My business and community work colleagues regard me as a highly effective 'team player' and an able and experienced communicator.
My involvement in the development of the Pharmacy agenda as Main Board member and South East Chair for Community Pharmacy Wales has at all times been both positive and progressive.
My roles in other community affairs such as Special Advisor and Election Commissioner for the India Centre and my fundraising activities as Chair of Kidney Wales Foundation have given me a well developed awareness of the public agenda and community issues.
I am respected for the high professional standards I maintain at all times. This allied to my positive attitude and clear strategic vision has enabled me to bring an independent and authoritative voice to all my commitments. I always accept responsibility for my actions and act with integrity at all times. I also get great personal satisfaction from being able to serve and help the public.
|1969 -1972||Welsh School of Pharmacy, University of Wales Cardiff||Pharmacy B.Pharms (Hons) 2.1 (specialising in Pharmacology)|
|1967 -1969||Bath College, Bath Somerset||'A' Levels in Physics, Chemistry and Biology|
|Up to 1967||Duke of Gloucester Grammar School Nairobi, Kenya||10 'O' Levels Equivalents|
|Organisation and Role||Achievements|
|1982 to date||The Aggarwal Group Director (R.K. Aggarwal Ltd, Central Pharmacy, Perfumery and Clarins Gold Salon, and Escentual.com).||With its ethos of Quality, Service & Satisfaction, Founder and Managing the Retail, Property and Internet Group now has a £ multi-million turnover|
|1972 to 1982||Boots Co. Ltd.|
|Relief Management||1972 - 1973|
|Small/Medium Store Manager Cardiff||1973 - 1977|
|Large Store Manager Wembley/High Wycombe||1977 - 1982|
|Special Merchandising Projects Head Office Nottingham||1981|
Responsibilities and Achievements
- Direct responsibility for operational management of store including personnel
- Managed a team of 200+ members of staff
- Winner of 'Store of the Year' award
- Establishing good working practices
- Merchandising and achieving excellent standards of customer care and service
- Exceeded all professional and personal targets and increased GP by 3%
- Represented the Company on various Health & Social committees
Professional Membership and Appointments
- 2009 - Date
- Expert Member' on a Task and Finish Group appointed by the Welsh Health Minister to develop the Pharmacy agenda in Wales.
- Judge and Speaker (The Pharmaceutical Care Award) at Welsh Pharmacy Awards held in April 2009.
- 2009 - Date
- Board member Bro-Taf Drug and Therapeutics Committee
- 2007 - Date
- Chairman Community Pharmacy Wales (South East Region).
- 2006 - Date
- Health Columnist for Western Mail (Wales' major daily newspaper).
- 2003 - Date
- National Pharmacy Association Main Board member
- 2003 - Date
- Community Pharmacy Wales Main Board member.
- 2003 - Date
- Dispenser Services User Group member for Wales.
- 2003 - Date
- Representative at oral hearings relating to Pharmacy contracts, appointed by the Welsh Assembly Government.
- 1973 - Date
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
Previous professional membership and appointments included work as a S.E. Wales Local Pharmaceutical member and representative on the Harrow and Middlesex Pharmaceutical Group.
- 2011 - Date
- Board Member - Wales Millennium Centre (WMC)
- 2010 - Date
- Board Member - Wales International Business Council (WIBC)
- 2006 - Date
- Board member Cardiff Business Club (Patron - Prince Charles).
- 2004 - Date
- Election Chairman and Special Adviser to India Centre (Wales).
- 2002 - Date
- Chairman and Trustee Kidney Wales Foundation
- 2000 - Date
- Member of Careers Wales, providing work experience/development and mentoring for local students.
Previous Community Work included Chairman of The Asian Society of Wales and President of The Overseas Students Association.
English, Swahili, Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Urdu
- 2011 - Welsh Chemist Review - Outstanding Contribution to Pharmacy Award
- 2010 - Winner UK Pharmacy Business Entrepreneur 2010
- 2008 - Community Award Hindu Cultural Association - Wales.
- 2008 - Best in UK Clarins Gold Salons Award.
- 2007 - Awarded an OBE for services to Pharmacy, Charity and the Asian community in Wales.
- 2003 - Winner of the National Pharmacy Health & Beauty Retailer Award.
- 2003 - Cardiff in Bloom Award winner (commercial flower display).
Training and Personal Development
Various Senior Management and Executive Development courses. Media Training for the National Pharmaceutical Association (2007).
- Charity and Community work
- Regional cuisine and cooking
- Married with 2 adult children, both of who are very successful in their chosen careers